Nakamoto Denies Creating Bitcoin, Seeks Legal Aid

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmailby feather
Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto
Photo: AP

Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto has been busy denying that he ever had anything to do with Bitcoin ever since Leah McGrath Goodman wrote a report presenting him as the founder of the popular cryptocurrency in Newsweek.We also covered the story.

Nakamoto has even gone to the extent of hiring a lawyer to formally state that he has no connection whatsoever with the cryptocurrency. He has clearly stated: “I did not create, invent, or otherwise work on Bitcoin. I unconditionally deny the Newsweek report.”

Newsweek’s Controversial Report

Goodman had written the article on Dorian Satoshi Nakamoto to launch the return of Newsweek to the print media, but the write-up is based on a lot of circumstantial evidence.

The most puzzling aspect of Nakamoto’s life is his birth name, which he had formally changed several years back. He is a computer expert who had taken long breaks from work, breaks that coincided with the birth of bitcoin. Taking all these factors into consideration, Goodman had reached the conclusion that Nakamoto was the man who created bitcoin. In a hurried interview with Goodman, Nakamoto appeared to confirm that he was indeed the creator of bitcoin, but later he vehemently stated that his statements had been misunderstood.

Later, Nakamoto said: “My background is in engineering. I also have the ability to program. My most recent job was as an electrical engineer troubleshooting air traffic control equipment for the FAA. I have no knowledge of nor have I ever worked on cryptography, peer to peer systems, or alternative currencies.”

Ethan D. Kirschner of the Los Angeles based law firm hired by Nakamoto to represent him had released this public statement. Kirschner confirmed that Dorian S. Nakamoto had retained the firm to represent him and that neither Nakamoto nor the law firm will make any comment in future.

Nakamoto in the Limelight

The Newsweek story succeeded in focusing media attention on Nakamoto, who had to face a number of uninvited questions regarding his involvement with the cryptocurrency. He was chased by media representatives all around Los Angeles till he agreed to an interview with a reporter from Associated Press. The appearance of other bitcoin-related news reports, such as the fall of MtGox, also heightened interest in Nakamoto, who was projected as the founder of the cryptocurrency.

Nakamoto says that this has caused him a lot of stress. In his statement, he said that he had not been able to gain steady employment as a programmer or engineer for the past decade. To make matters worse, he had to undergo a prostate surgery in 2012 and suffered a stroke in 2013. Nakamoto is now complaining that his “prospects for gainful employment has been harmed because of Newsweek’s article.”

Newsweek’s Statement

In the meanwhile, Newsweek has something to say. The publication has released a press note, which says that it “has not received any statement or letter from either Mr. Nakamoto or his legal counsel.” Newsweek has promised to respond as soon as it receives communication from Nakamoto or his lawyers.

Nakamoto has not yet taken any legal action against Newsweek.

March 26, 2014: • No Comments

Comments are closed.